So, you’ve invested in the JupiterOne platform. Maybe your goal is to get depth in your asset visibility. Maybe your goal is to understand the relationships between your cyber assets. Or, maybe your team is looking for a way to prioritize risk and security events based on severity. Whatever the end goal may be, queries are at the heart of all of these actions. In part 1 of this two-part blog series, we talked about the new homepage experience and the updates to the Questions Library. In part two, we’ll talk about our new Query Builder!
JupiterOne has always allowed you to get consumable answers to big, complex questions within seconds with JupiterOne Query Language, or J1QL. But we wanted to make it even easier for more non-technical users to find answers within their organization’s data. Here’s a quick video our friend Devon put together to introduce you to Query Builder.
Now that you’ve seen it, let’s dive into what’s new.
Your journey starts with finding the right question
To get value from JupiterOne, you need to know what you can ask for and how you can ask for it. Instead of learning the entire JupiterOne data model and J1QL to answer your questions, our new Query Builder provides a dynamic guide to help find and save what you need without knowing J1QL. But, we can’t promise you won’t learn some in the process ;-).
At JupiterOne, we center our platform development on a few guiding principles – each iteration and new capability strives to answer these questions, all beginning with a single query.
- What do I have? Is it getting better? By visualizing any query on the Graph, you can answer these questions to understand the cyber assets that live in your environment, along with their security health and related attack paths at a glance.
- Does it have a problem? Encourage continuous compliance by quickly gauging if your cyber assets are experiencing any problems that would cause compliance drift.
- How do I fix it? Any query can be converted into an automated alert to remediate persistent issues.
Complex questions built from simple components
Query Builder lets users with any level of technical knowledge construct questions from simple pre-defined building blocks expressed in plain language. Although the Query Builder doesn’t support every J1QL feature yet, we’ll continuously add features and functionality to Query Builder, expanding on its considerable initial value to your organization. We’ve powered Query Builder with a few key features to make the process as simple as possible and build immediate time to value using JupiterOne:
- Clearer asset categories keep your cyber assets organized and easy to reach. Use this as the foundation when building your query.
- Dynamic values will only display valid inputs to eliminate confusion. For example, the Query Builder will only surface the asset classes/types you have, their available properties, and possible relationships between the sets of assets you select.
- Real-time J1QL code is generated right in front of you as you construct your query, letting you fine tune queries in multiple ways and see how J1QL works to bring you greater visibility into your cyber assets.
Query Builder is a key addition to JupiterOne as we seek to make querying your cloud or on-prem assets and protecting your business more accessible than ever. We hope Query Builder makes it easier and more intuitive to answer the questions related to your cyber asset, cybersecurity, compliance, and business intelligence needs.