Complete cyber asset inventory and visibility is foundational to any security program and strategy. We’ve written a number of pieces that share this sentiment including:
- CAASM Should Be an Early Security Investment in Every CISO’s Playbook
- The 3 Biggest Challenges of Cyber Asset Management and How to Solve Them
- The Cyber Asset Attack Surface Management Guide
But once you know what you have, a second problem surfaces: You have no idea how to prioritize your issues, actions, and time amidst the noise.
You and your team are drowning in a sea of data coming from your asset ecosystem. Waves of data including asset attributes, risks, problems, findings, alerts, issues, etc. continuously crash against your security shoreline, the frontline of your business.
As a security leader, you’re not always 100% sure where to deploy your resources. For security practitioners, your workflows continually get bogged down by more alerts, and cross-referencing dozens of different point solutions to create an effective mitigation strategy when a new incident, finding, or risk emerges.
Enter Critical Assets, providing your team with some respite from the growing noise and complexity.
JupiterOne’s Critical Assets Feature Connects and Protects Your Business Critical “Crown Jewels”
Today, JupiterOne is excited to introduce the new Critical Assets feature in the JupiterOne Platform. Critical Assets provides customers with the ability to:
- Monitor your business-critical “crown jewels”. Our approach continuously monitors your most important assets for configuration issues, compliance gaps, and security findings.
- Create a starting point with Critical Assets. As a foundation, JupiterOne has pre-marked certain asset classes as “Critical Assets” to give teams a baseline of risk and where they should focus first. This reduces the burden for teams who may not have a clear starting point for business-critical asset prioritization.
- Expand on JupiterOne’s foundation of Critical Assets. With a defined starting point for Critical Assets, JupiterOne users leverage our simple query language to build more interesting views and alerts based on business context. Relationship-driven complex criteria can help automate business criticality with JupiterOne.
- Understand how your critical assets connect. Our team has built Critical Assets to harmoniously work with the rest of the JupiterOne Platform. Critical Assets can easily be viewed on Dashboards, the JupiterOne Graph Viewer, or the Assets App. JupiterOne connects directly to your alerts, vulnerability workflows, and compliance frameworks.
JupiterOne’s Approach to Critical Assets
We understand that the value of an asset varies from company to company and from team to team. That’s where you come in. Critical Assets was built so that you can prioritize your time and seamlessly blend JupiterOne into your unique business processes for asset management and security.
We surface the most business critical assets, and the highest risks, in a transparent, data-driven context. With Critical Assets, teams have the flexibility to automate tagging based on the most important parameters that make sense for their business.
As a starting point, critical assets have been pre-defined to help teams monitor specific assets in production such as code repositories, data stores, servers, cloud services and workloads, and centralized logs. From this starting point, users change the criticality of an asset based on any business context and parameters necessary. For example, you can change the criticality of an asset based on whether or not it’s in production, how many assets it’s connected to, if it’s publicly exposed to the internet, and much more.
Critical Assets and Its Benefits for Security Leaders and Security Operations
With the newly launched Critical Assets feature, there are significant benefits for security leaders and practitioners including:
- Transparent prioritization of time and resources. Remove the guesswork and blackbox scoring with the ability to define what business or asset parameters should be flagged for critical security workflows. Security leaders can more effectively deploy their security resources at the right time, with the right information and tools.
- Surface critical assets to the business and highlight important changes. JupiterOne has created an easy-to-consume dashboard in our Insights App that showcases changes across assets you have defined as business-critical. These views can highlight attack paths, directly exposed assets, and indirect attack surfaces connected to assets.
- Easy punch-list for your everyday security workflows. With the streamlined Dashboard on the JupiterOne Landing Page, frontline security ops get the most important information quickly, and spend less time figuring out what they need to monitor and more time responding to problems that affect your business.
- Reduced noise and alert fatigue. We separate the signal from the noise, allowing teams to take rapid action and avoid the vicious cycle of alert fatigue and security burnout.
- Optimized security workflows and compliance. We have created an end-to-end offering to help accelerate your security workflows, while mapping it back to your compliance journey. With each added feature , we are expanding your understanding of the potential blast radius of impacted critical assets and how to prioritize actions when changes happen in your environment.
To learn more about JupiterOne and the latest Critical Assets feature, watch the video below or request a demo.